What is a Dental Implant?
A Dental implant is a titanium post surgically threaded into the jawbone beneath the gums. It has four parts: threaded post, crown substructure, ceramic crown and a screw to attach it to the substructure and threaded post in the bone. Dental implants may replace a single tooth or multiple teeth. Dental implants are the ideal tooth replacement solution because they actually mimic the roots, appearance and feel of a natural tooth.
What are the advantages of a Dental Implant?
• Improved aesthetics: Dental implants look more natural than other prosthetics (bridge or denture). It mimics the natural appearance of a tooth.
• Improved speech: Many people wearing dentures have difficulty when speaking because dentures can slip and get dislodged.
• Better chewing power: Slipping dentures make it hard to chew food properly as they are very unstable.
• Convenience: Dental implants don’t need to be removed to clean, unlike dentures.
• Durability: Dental implants, when taken care properly, last much longer than a bridge. Bridges fail over 40% of the time within 10 years of placement. And when they fail, the patients lose another tooth. Implants can last 20 – 25 years.
Who can have Dental Implants?
The simple answer is almost everyone is a candidate for some type of dental implant to help restore chewing function. Start by discussing your options with your dentist or by calling Dr. Lee’s office for a consultation.
After your consult, Dr. Lee and your dentist will develop the best dental implant treatment plan for you. You will need to visit the dentist two to three times a year for dental implant cleaning. Good dental home care routine should also be practiced. Dental implants are like your own teeth and require the same care. Keep your implants plaque-free by brushing and flossing.
Read more about dental implants and the Cincinnati Center for Corrective Jaw Surgery here.